Tuesday, September 18, 2012

UWP: FRANK SCHNEIDER





















FRANK SCHNEIDER

I already started with photography whilst at highschool. One of my early short exams was a fictious Formula-1 reportage. Somehow, that must have pointed out my later profession... After my sportdiver certification in 1982 a more or less technical question to the chiefeditor of the scuba diving magazine "tauchen" surprisingly lead to the first order to write a travel report. This article, published in 1983, eventually turned out to be the starting point for my career as travel-journalist. My articles have been published in many countries, including Italy, Spain, England, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, Russia, Turkey and Croatia.

Today I work with the two digital Nikon-SLR-cameras "Nikon D3" and "Nikon D3X" and I use original Nikon lenses. Those range from a "16 mm fisheye" up to the telezoom "VR 70-200 mm", all which have a 2.8 f-stop.

Under water I use the "Nikon D3X" in a Seacam housing together with the fisheye lens, a "14-24 mm" wide angle zoom and the "60 mm macro" lens. One or two flashlights "Seacam Seaflash 150 TTL" take care of light and colors.

I entirely depend on my own equipment when it comes to reports which include underwater photography. I use a dry suit for cold water dives. Other than that, I dive with the Mares BCD "hybrid" and a "Carbon 42" regulator. For my safety I rely on my Mares computer "Icon HD".

Nearly all my articles feature a female model because, even though images of pure nature can be quite nice, it is always recommendable to liven up pictures with people. An experienced photo model is indispensable - and for professional underwater photography she must have the nerve to pose for the camera both in the close company of sharks as well as on a dreamlike beach.






FRANK SCHNEIDER

La fotografia mi ha affascinato sin dai tempi del ginnasio e ancora oggi ricordo di avere svolto uno dei miei primi compiti in classe scrivendo un reportage di fantasia. In qualche modo il tempo mi ha dato ragione… Dopo il mio primo brevetto subacqueo, nel 1982, ho inviato una mia proposta all‘allora capo redattore di „tauchen“ e del tutto inaspettata arrivò la risposta: mi venne commissionato un reportage di viaggio che venne pubblicato nel 1983 e che fu il primo passo verso la professione di reporter. Nel frattempo sono stati pubblicati dei miei articoli di viaggi in varie parti del mondo su riviste in Italia, Spagna, Inghilterra, Norvegia, Danimarca, Olanda, Austria, Svizzera, Turchia, Russia e Croatia.

Gli strumenti del mio lavoro sono cambiati col passare del tempo e attualmente utilizzo varie macchine fotografiche e obbiettivi Nikon: una digitale Nikon D3 e obbiettivi Nikon diversi (tutti con f 2,8). Per le immagini subacquee utilizzo un altra macchina fotograficha Nikon D3X in una custodia di Seacam con gli obbiettivi 16 mm fisheye, 14-24 zoom e 60 mm macro.

Per i reportage che includono anche una parte subacquea mi avvalgo della mia propria attrezzatura che include una muta stagna, per le acque più fredde, e sia un gav „hybrid“ sia un erogatore "Carbon 42" della Mares insieme con il Mares computer "Icon HD".

I miei articoli sono realizzati quasi esclusivamente in collaborazione con una modella in quanto, accanto a delle belle immagini di natura incontaminata, è necessario realizzare e potere offrire anche foto a tema con persone. Una modella esperta sia sott‘acqua sia sotto il sole è quindi indispensabile e deve sentirsi a proprio agio accanto ad uno squalo così come su di una spiaggia da sogno.